Homeowners Painting tips:
If you’re planning to do your own painting follow these practical guidelines and tips on how to achieve smooth, professional results showing off the rooms new colors at its best.
Before you begin
Most important choose good – quality rollers and brushes. A Wallauer expert can help you select the correct roller for you job.
- ROLLER -Wallauer brand 3/8 x 9” for Flat, Matte and Eggshell paint
- ROLLER– Wallauer brand ¼ x 9” for Semi gloss paint
- BRUSH – Wallauer brand 1 ½ or 21/2 for trim and cutting, nylon bristles for latex, natural bristles for oil.
The best TEMPERATURE to paint – ideally at 70 F , and 50% humidity paint will dry properly and glide easily (adequate ventilation is necessary).
CLEARING THE SPACE
– Move everything you can from the room big pieces of furniture into the center of the room and cover with plastics.
– A clean, dry, well-primed surface makes for a long lasting paint job, and a smooth uniform finish, make colors look their best.
- Wash walls with a sponge and soapy water, rinse and allow to dry
- Scrape off loose or flaking paint with a putty knife, then sand smooth.
- Fill small cracks or holes with sparkling compound, let dry, sand smooth.
- Remove all switch plates
- Spot prime tough stains or patched spots with a specialty primer to prevent bleeding through finish coat.
PRIMER is need when
- All untreated and unpainted surfaces
- When using dark colors ask your paint dealer to tint the primer to a light version of the top coat color.
- When going from dark to light colors.
- When a wall has been painted many times and layers have been built up
Check list before Starting
- Paint: Ceiling, Tim and Walls
- Roller: with extension handle for ceilings and a tray (disposable saves on clean up time).
- Brushes: A two-inch angle sash and 3” trim brush.
- Stepladder: be safe never use a wobbly chair.
- Drop cloths: Cover all furniture with plastic and use canvas on floors ( not so slippery).
- Clean rags: you can never have enough.
- Single –edge razor blades
- Low-tack painters tape(do not us masking tape).
- Bucket and Sponge
- Mineral spirits for cleanup with oil
- Spackling compound
- Putty knives
- Sanding Block
- Can opener
- Mixing sticks
- Trim guard for painting baseboards and mouldings